Tech World is Funny indeed...

Hey hi...
Yesterday I was just lying down and just thinking about all the good and great things around me.Then, I started thinking about all the great tech-companies and I was dreaming that maybe I could be in one of them.Just then I counted all the best tech companies and I was surprised to found that all the greatest company which have made it big in the internet world have rather strange and funny names...a lot unusual names.
What I think is that finding a great domain name doesn't necessarily translate to a popular website; quite often, strangely named websites have struck gold. Here's a list of 5 such companies

1. Google
It doesn't get any stranger - or bigger - than this. This Mountain View-based search giant's name is seemingly based on the word 'googol' (I found this on wikipedia) which, has as little to do with search as google does. But who cares? It's the world's most popular search engine.

2. Yahoo!
Once again, what has the name 'Yahoo!' got to do with any of its services (or anything at all)? Nothing.But still its getting a lot of fame,success,money and yeah the best techies in the world.

3. Youtube
Probably one of the world's most popular websites, it is a video-sharing site with another strange name, but who cares? (I repeat myself, but that's the whole point behind this post: the name doesn't matter!)The point is what a 'tube' gotta do with videos of people doing funny stuff.

4. Digg
Although Digg is often used as both a noun and a verb on digg.com, the word itself has no inherent meaning nor does it serve any purpose, as such.Though it has a useless name,but still its a one-stop website for all entertainment,news and a lot of more stuff.

5. Flickr
Okay, arguably flickr does mean something (i.e. Flicker).I guess it has something to do with 'flickering of light',I guess. But it's totally unrelated to the site. 
And that's the list. 5 weird names. Extremely successful, despite the names.

The success is ofcourse due to something: innovation. All these sites brought something new to the tech world and thereby to the people and established themselves, these brands got away with loads of success with some of strangest names. But then, that's life.

The list of such companies/sites is endless. Reditt, Odeo, Kanoodle, Zoomr,Bebo,Apple etc.

So that's folk I'll continue to give such weirdo comments and opinions..
Bye 
MS

Friday, October 3, 2008

1 Comment:

pawan said...

Nice blog! dude nice listomania!
keep itup!!

 
The Life And Times of MS - This Blogspot Theme is proudly powered by M$.Inc and themed by Manmeet Singh